Wednesday, April 17, 2013

1 week follow up appointment and real food!!!!

I had my 1 week follow up appointment with the dietician and the surgeon yesterday (even though it was 8 days out).  The dietician said I could advance to pureed foods and the surgeon agreed that would be fine.  To be honest I am a little nervous about eating food, even if it is pureed.  It has been a  long time since I've had food.  Yesterday I just had some strained low fat cream of chicken soup for lunch and for supper the same soup and some natural smooth applesauce.  My stomach capacity seems to be about 4 tablespoons, at that point I'm not stuffed or uncomfortable but just satisfied.  I'm sure that will change as time goes on.  For breakfast this morning I had 4 tablespoons of Fage Greek yogurt, it was the plain kind and I added a sprinkle of truvia and some sugar free torani syrup.  I was worried it might have been too thick, but it went down well and didn't feel like it got stuck.  I am still planning on doing at least one or two protein shakes per day to make sure I am getting enough protein.  I am still having the visiting nurse come daily to pack my wound, but both the surgeon and the visiting nurse said it is healing well.  The packing of the wound is so painful, I can't wait until it is done.

I will be on pureed foods for 2 weeks, after that I can do soft foods which I will do for about one month until I go in for my 6 week follow up appointment at which point the dietician will discuss with me what I need to eat for the rest of my life.   6 weeks in the grand scheme of things really isn't that long, I guess.

Today for lunch I am going to puree some tuna with lite mayo, we'll see how that goes.  I have heard that pureeing tuna and cottage cheese together works well, so I plan on buying some cottage cheese at the store this weekend and giving it a try.  It's funny how food sounded so good when I was on my pre-op liquid diet and I was imagining eating certain things, and now while I may see a recipe or food commercial and think about it looking good I really am not hungry for it.  Hopefully that feeling will last.

So I weighed in at home on Monday which was 1 week post op and I had lost 2.4#.  I was kind of disappointed with that but when I was talking with Dr. Garza's nurse yesterday she said some people don't lose anything that first week because of being in the hospital and the IV fluids and such.  I actually was down another pound or so when I weighed in at the office yesterday.  On the weight tracking sheet at the doctor's office, I am down 30# since I started seeing him in December, that was pretty cool!  I will probably weigh in at home on Mondays and Thursdays for a while, I will do Mondays so I can track what I've lost weekly from the day of surgery, and Thursdays just because I have always done a Thursday weigh in and eventually may go back to doing that again.  Who knows what I will decide to do in the future but that's my plan for now.

According to my records I am down 28.8# since I started dieting January 6th and I'm down 2.4# since surgery.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment