Monday, April 29, 2013

3 weeks post-op

I am 3 weeks post-op today, still struggling with ups and downs.  It seems I have a good day or two and then a couple of bad days and so on.  I am still having quite a bit of pain around the abdominal incision that is being packed (though it is healing and getting smaller), and the pain radiates to the lower left side of my abdomen and towards my bladder.  I am thinking I'm going to send an email to my surgeon's nurse and see if this pain is still normal healing pain or if I should be concerned.  This recovery has been no walk in the park, that's for sure.

Tomorrow I am supposed to start soft foods.  Who knew figuring out what to eat could be so confusing.  I am just going to try a few things and see what I can tolerate.  It will be nice to not have to puree up everything, that was definitely a pain in my butt.  I am going to try a soft scrambled egg with cheese and half of a veggie sausage cut into tiny pieces for breakfast tomorrow and probably some hormel chili for lunch.  I have heard mixed reviews on the eggs, some people live off of them and others can't tolerate them at all, so we'll see.  Interestingly enough it seems most people tolerate chili well, which is good because I like chili and it is pretty high in protein.

I weighed in this morning and I lost 3.6# this week which means I have lost 13.4# since surgery and 39.8# since I started dieting in January.  I will be honest I am a little disappointed that I haven't lost more weight, I was hearing of people dropping 10# or more each week and frankly I was losing this much weight low-carb dieting.  Then I had to just step back and think for a minute, sure I could be losing this weight dieting without surgery and then go on an eating binge 1 month, 3 months, 1 year into it and blow it all and gain the weight back plus some.  The weight is coming off slow and steady and I have broken my endless cycle of yo-yo dieting.  This will work out in the end, I just have to be patient.  I plan on taking pictures next week and taking measurements, I will post them and hopefully there will be a noticeable difference.

Until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment