Monday, April 22, 2013

2 weeks post-op and a hard lesson learned

Today I am two weeks post-op.  I won't lie, I thought I'd be feeling better by this point.  I feel a little better every day but no where near where I thought I'd be.  I am honestly contemplating taking a slightly longer leave of absence from work and taking off the first weekend in May instead of going back.  I am still sore, I still need to have the visiting nurse come to my house daily to pack my wound (though it is healing nicely), and I have no endurance for anything.  I went to run some errands with my husband and went the grocery store Saturday and we were out for maybe 2 hours and I was wiped out when we got home.  How am I ever going to make it through a 12 hour night shift much less three of them in a row??!??!?  I know I need to be patient with myself and I am trying to be.  This was major abdominal surgery and I need to take it slow, I guess I am just not bouncing back as fast as people on the forums who related that they had no pain, or they went back to work after a week.  Kudos to them, but that is not my experience.

I learned a hard lesson last evening, we had gone to a movie in the afternoon and I just sipped water through the movie, didn't eat anything.  When I got home I was very hungry so I pureed up some refried beans and heated them up with a little mozzerella cheese and then I also grabbed a little leftover pureed tuna with mayo.  I was hungry and didn't take the time to measure out my portions and I ate it all.  I knew as soon as I was done that that had been a big mistake, I was so full!  It was the full that you get after over indulging in a buffet.  I started pacing the hallway hoping that the food would start moving but then the nausea and watery mouth hit and I knew I was in trouble.  I dry heaved into a bucket for nearly 20 minutes. Let me tell you that hurt my abdomen more than you could imagine!  It felt like someone had kicked me in the stomach repeatedly.  I had a lot of pain after that and no appetite.  I just basically sipped water the rest of the evening.  Lesson learned I will measure everything from now on!!

So at two weeks out I have lost 9.8# post-op and a total of 36.2# since January.  I am still wearing the same pants I was in January which is frustrating, I am just one of those people who loses weight and my clothing sizes don't go down very fast.  I can tell my pants are looser, I'm just not able to get into a smaller size yet.  Soon I hope!!

I will weigh in again on Thursday, that is my normal weigh in day and a day I post my weigh in on a forum I belong to, so I will update then.

No comments:

Post a Comment